Your rights at the beginning of the journey or during your trip:
If the train leaves with a delay of 60 minutes, you have the following rights:
- Meals and refreshments, in reasonable relation to the waiting time, if they are available on the train or in the station, or can reasonably be supplied.
- Hotel accomodation and transport between the railway station and place of accomodation if an overnight stay becomes necessary, where and when it is physically possible.
- Onward journey with another means of transport (e.g. coach, taxi) to the next station, if the train stops due to a defect.
If a hotel accomodation is necessary, the railway company can limit the duration of accomodation to a maximum of 3 nights due to the following reasons: Extraordinary circumstances (extreme weather conditions), fault of the passenger, behaviour of a third party (sabotage, persons on the track).
Ask the railway company for help to find a hotel accomodation prior to booking the hotel yourself.
In case of a foreseeable delay of at least 60 minutes: If you do not want to start the journey or if you want to cancel the whole trip, you are entitled to a refund of the ticket price and of a return transport to the starting station free of charge. The reimbursement must be credited on your account within 30 days after having submitted your claim.
If a delay of at least 60 minutes is forseeable and you want to make the journey, you can request a rebooking on another train free of charge. Some railway companies cancel the train commitment. You can choose a new connection yourself under comparable transport conditions. Some railway companies require a seat reservation for the alternative connection, e. g. for the TGV in France. The railway company is obliged to provide you with the seat reservation free of charge.
If the railway company does not offer an alternative connection within 100 minutes, you can book the alternative connection yourself and charge the costs to the railway company. You can also buy a ticket from another railway company or from a bus company. Please note: The cost of a flight is not refundable.
Your rights upon arrival:
You can claim for compensation if you have already started your journey and if you arrive late at the destination station:
- 25 % of the ticket price for a delay of 60 to 119 minutes
- 50 % of the ticket price for a delay of 120 minutes or more.
Good to know:
Some railway companies already offer compensation for delays of 30 minutes or more. Therefore, check the transport conditions.
- If you have started your journey and arrive late at your destination station, you cannot require a full refund of the ticket price.
- The railway company is not obliged to pay any compensation if the delay is due to the following reasons: extraordinary circumstances (extreme weather conditions), fault on the part of the passenger, behaviour of a third party (sabotage, persons on the track, etc)
- There is no entitlement to reimbursement of consequential costs incurred as a result of the delay at your destination (rental car, overnight accomodation)