The EU regulation (EU 2021/782), which came into force on 7th June 2023, basically ensures that rail passengers have the right to take their bicycles in long distance and local trains with them. However, the railway companies will have several years to adapt their capacities.
Good to know:
On some trains which do not provide reservations for bicycles the number of bycicles may be limited due to safety or space.
If you have booked a ticket for your bycicle and you are not allowed to enter the train your rights are as follows:
- Refund of the ticket price while giving up the journey.
- Continuing the journey with a changed route
- Assistance (e.g. food and drinks). However, this only applies if it is forseeable that you will arrive at the destination station with a delay of 60 minutes or more due to the transport refusal of the bike.
Good to know:
Like any other piece of luggage, you must supervise the bicycle yourself. The railway company is not resposable for theft or damage. The railway company can be hold resposible if the bycle was damaged due to an accident caused by the railway company.
If you want to take the bycicle with you, please ask each railway company which you will use about:
- the terms and conditions of transport
- the transport costs
- whether you have to book a space for the bycicle