You are entitled to compensation and assistance.
Your right to compensation:
- 25% of the ticket price, if you arrive between 60 and 119 minutes late in relation to the originally scheduled time ;
- 50% for a delay of 120 minutes or more on arrival.
Good to know: some railway undertakings or countries may provide compensation from 30 minutes of delay onwards. Ask for more information.
- Compensation is not due if the railway undertaking can prove extraordinary circumstances or if the delay in arrival is the fault of the passenger or a third party (people on the tracks, sabotage, etc.).
- You cannot claim a full refund once you have been re-routed free of charge by the railway undertaking.
Your right to assistance on departure:
If the train is cancelled and you are re-routed only after 1 hour or more,you are entitled to
- meals and drinks in reasonable quantities, taking into account the actual delay,
- accommodation if re-routing is not possible on the same day,
- a means of informing your relatives if the train delay prevents continuation of your journey on the same day,
Please note: Accommodation may be limited to 3 nights if the train delay is due to extraordinary circumstances (bad weather, damage caused by a third party, etc.), the fault of the passenger or the behaviour of a third party (with the exception of other transport companies or railway undertakings).
Ask the railway undertaking for assistance and at the station before taking the initiative to book accommodation yourself.